The Val di Zoldo lies within the area of the Longaronese Zoldo Cadore Mountain Union. To pick mushrooms in this area, all those not resident in the municipality must have a valid ID document and a permit for mushroom picking in the area valid for their trip.
N.B.: the permit does not cover the Dolomiti Bellunesi National Park, because it is a protected area.
The permits can be purchased from the tourist offices in Forno and Pecol (Val di Zoldo), or by bank transfer to the current account of the Mountain Union Longaronese Zoldo Cadore (please for it contact: firstname.lastname@example.org).
They are divided into the following categories
- daily – valid only on Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays and weekday public holidays - € 10
- weekly – valid for three consecutive days only on Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays and weekday public holidays - € 20
- monthly - valid for a period of 30 days, but can be used only on Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays and weekday public holidays - € 50
- yearly – valid until 31 December of the current year, but can be used only on Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays and weekday public holidays - € 75.
The permit is non-transferrable, and anyone found picking mushrooms without it may be fined.
How to pick mushrooms
As soon as you see a mushroom, you must make sure it has all the characteristics that determine its particular species, because it is forbidden to voluntarily damage mushrooms of any species. Once you have identified the mushroom, twist it slightly at the base of the stem, and place it in a wicker basket or a rigid container with air holes so the spores can disperse. It is forbidden to use rakes, hooks or any other objects that can damage the humus layer of the soil, the mycelium of the mushroom and the roots of the vegetation. The mushrooms should be summarily cleaned at the picking site. They must be ripe, not too young or old. Picking at night is forbidden.
As stated in article 3 of Regional Law no. 23 of 19 August 1996, "daily collection per head of edible mushrooms is restricted to a total of 3 kg, comprising no more than 1 kg. 1 of the following species:
a) AGROCYBE AEGERITA;
b) AMANITA CAESAREA;
c) BOLETUS EDULIS;
d) CALOCYBE GAMBOSA (Tricholoma Georgii) ;
e) CANTHARELLUS CIBARIUS;
f) CANTHARELLUS LUTESCENS;
g) CLITOPILUS PRUNULUS;
h) CLITOCYBE GEOTROPA;
i) CRATERELLUS CORNUCOPIOIDES;
j) MACROLEPIOTA PROCERA and similar;
k) MORCHELLA all species, including the genera Mitrophora and Verpa;
l) POLYPORUS poes caprae;
m) TRICHOLOMA, terreum group;
n) RUSSULA VIRESCENS
Here below, the information on the permits in the area of the Longaronese Zoldo Cadore Mountain Union.
REGIONAL LAW NO. 23 OF 19 AUGUST 1996
REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE PICKING AND SALE OF FRESH MUSHROOMS
Art. 1 – Purpose
1) The purpose of these regulations is the preservation and enhancement of the area’s natural assets, by governing the picking of wild mushrooms in the area of the Cadore Longaronese Zoldo Mountain Community, as provided for by Regional Law no. 23 of 19 August 1996 "Regulations governing the picking and sale of fresh and preserved mushrooms” and by the executive measures for the implementation of the same approved by Regional Council Resolution no. 739 of 02.05.2012.
Art. 2 – Authorisation for picking and identification of days on which it possible
1) In the area of the Mountain Community, authorisation to pick wild mushrooms requires a currently valid identity document and a payment receipt indicating the following:
Weekly (7 consecutive solar days)
Monthly (30 consecutive solar days)
Yearly (solar year)
2) Payment of the above amounts may be demonstrated with:
a receipt of payment issued directly by the Mountain Community or other entities and/or subjects authorised thereby;
a receipt of payment into the Treasury account of the Cadore Longaronese Zoldo Mountain Community indicating the reason for payment stated at point 3 below;
3) The receipt of payment must contain the following data:
“Comunità Montana Cadore Longaronese Zoldo - Raccolta Funghi”
“Name and surname of the holder of the permit”
“DD/MM/YYYY for the daily permit”
“from DD/MM/YYYY to DD/MM/YYYY for the weekly and/or monthly permit”
“Year YYYY for the yearly permit”
4) The following are exempt from payment of the amounts established above:
The subjects indicated in art. 2, para. 3 of Regional Law no. 23/1996, for picking mushrooms on their own property, provided they are in possession of the documents indicated in para. 4 of said article;
Residents of the municipalities in the Mountain Community, provided they are in possession of a currently valid identity document.
5) The income raised from the payment of these contributions for mushroom picking is used for activities to protect and safeguard the area; the Mountain Community uses 30% of this income for carrying out these activities.
6) Mushroom picking is permitted, with the restrictions provided for in Regional Law no. 23/1996, on Tuesdays, Fridays, Sundays and on all weekday public holidays.
7) The following categories may pick mushrooms every day:
Residents of the municipalities in the Mountain Community;
Landowners, usufructuaries, leaseholders and their families, civic right holders, exclusively on the property concerned.
Art. 3 – Restrictions, how mushrooms can be picked and when and where it is forbidden to do so
1) With regard to restrictions, how mushrooms can be picked and when and where it is forbidden to do so, see the cases specifically provided for in articles 3, 4 and 5 of Regional Law no. 23/1996 and in articles 3 and 4 of Annex A of Resolution no. 739 of the Veneto Regional Council of 02.05.2012.
Art. 4 – Facilitations for mushroom picking
1) Residents who pick mushrooms to supplement their income may pick up to three times the amounts provided for in art. 3 of Regional Law no. 23 of 19 August 1996.
2) These facilitations are granted annually to the following categories of residents:
a) smallholders and subjects that manage woodlands in any way;
b) users of community assets and collective property;
c) members of farming and forestry cooperatives headquartered in the Mountain Community.
3) In order to be granted these facilitations for mushroom picking, please refer to point 6 of the executive measures for implementation approved with Resolution no. 739 of the Veneto Regional Council of 02.05.2012.
Art. 5 – Infringements, administrative sanctions and revenue
1) For infringements of the regulations set forth in Regional Law no. 23/1996, the economic administrative sanctions provided for in art. 13 of the aforesaid Law shall apply
2) 70% of the revenue from the administrative sanctions applied for said infringements will be transferred to the Mountain Community.
Art. 6 – Final regulations
1) For anything not provided for in these regulations, please refer to Regional Law no. 23/1996 and the subsequent executive implementation measures approved with Resolution no. 739 of the Veneto Regional Council of 02.05.2012.
2) With regard to land situated within the Cadore Longaronese Zoldo mountain community, but belonging to the Regole or the Region, including land lying within the Dolomiti Bellunesi National Park, the regulations and/or measures approved by the respective entities shall apply.
3) The Council of the Mountain Community may make non-substantial changes to these regulations, with particular reference to art. 2, paras. 2 and 5, and art. 5, para. 2.